The Russ house, which is now the home of the Marianna Chamber of Commerce, was built in 1895 by J.W. Russ, Jr. as a residence for him and his mother. Better known by locals as "The Big House" was home to 5 generations of Russ family members. The Russ House certainly has seen its share of tragedy over the years. There were scandals over marriages, a fortune lost in the great crash of 1929 and its builder, Joseph W. Russ, Jr., committed suicide in 1930, evidently despondent over the loss of the family fortune in the Great Depression. Former residents described mysterious sounds and unexplained sights in the house. One, in fact, recommended that Chamber of Commerce employees think twice about working alone in the house after dark!